2.24.2010

Feel the Hair!

I am intermittently grading papers and checking email this morning. Mostly I'm distracted by VH1 Classic 80's Videos. I actually balked at watching it for a moment, and I don't know what I'm thinking. I did just definitely mute The Scorpions "No One Like You", but I had fun examining the shift in Belinda Carlisle's image from the "Vacation" video with the Go-Gos, to her solo effort "Mad About You" which is notable not only for its youthful exuberance, but also for its unnatural sparkly lighting at the beach. Overzealous use of reflectors.

I also think Rob Harper could rock a John Cougar Mellencamp costume at this year's Hasbro Halloween Party. You can blame that notion on the "Hurts So Good" video. Zombie bikers, anyone?

All the fun with the 80's videos stems from my mother having been in her late 20's when I was in pre-school, back when MTV showed videos. They are a brilliant artform, and I am thrilled to see artists like Lady Gaga breathing some life back into them. And for that matter, these live performances lately. Pink has become an acrobat. I've seen her do that spinning half naked dunked in the water while singing show three times now, and it amazes me every time.

Music feels fun and theatrical and visual again.

No comments: