12.27.2009

Fall (off the map). Spring (ahead)

Yeah, it was one of those seasons.

Aaron and I took a class at RISD and 12 weeks later, we'd made a book. And it's good. But it's been some work. I'm on hiatus from teaching for a couple weeks for the holidays. Which are now over, obligation-wise. The parties were wonderful, and they kind of passed too quickly.

But so too will this precious slice of TIME OFF until we all go back to work sometime around January 4. So now it's time to bust out the creative work we've been building up to do before the next work cycle starts.

Aaron is drawing drawing drawing. Annika is learning to walk, and talk, and eat solid foods. She's amazing. Amity arrived yesterday. So far she's raked half the leaves in the backyard and has all-but completely rebuilt my photography website. All the while, she's been catching up on her sleep. It's so good to have her here, beyond words or measure. We're planning our trip to the Dominican Republic for February break, which is just 7 weeks away!

And I bought a darkroom today. A guy around my age was selling his grandfather's complete set-up. I even got the man's darkroom notes, in the most impeccable penmanship. Mad cursive. The lot included safelights, easels, 2 enlargers, timers, trays, paper washer, dry mount press, paper cutter, etc., etc., etc. I'm setting it up in the laundry room downstairs. I am now full service. Ideally, I'd have a long narrow darkroom sink for the trays, but I worked tabletop in college and for the scale of printing I'm likely to do, that'll be enough.

The brother has a longer holiday break from law school than the rest of us, so he's coming over to provide handyman services for our now 80 year-old house. Helping with the darkroom is at the top of the list. I want to shoot black-and-white film, and make prints. Just like I did 10 years ago when I first loved photography. I can't wait to get to the DR on the photo safari.

We're also looking forward to weddings in Chicago in March and Cincinnati in April. Aaron's got New York and LA trips all over the calendar.

But for right now, another week, we are OFF. TIME OFF is ON! I want to make T-shirts, set up the darkroom, get ready for teaching 3 classes. Deal with the paperwork. Start fresh for the new year and decade.

Speaking of which, I'm psyched about these decade-in-review things. Do it!

Merry Christmas. Happy New Year . . . .

No comments: