8.11.2007

Patsy in the House!

As she decompresses from urban stress, Pats and I are having a wonderful relaxing weekend in Rhode Island. We hit a bumper crop of actual Prada in Patsy's size at Marshall's yesterday, and instantly "terra cotta" has become the color du jour. We hit yoga at 9 am this morning and then breakfast at Crazy Burger before an hour or so at the beach.

We toured Chateau-sur-Mer in Newport this afternoon, a glorious gorgeous RI August afternoon. I found myself delightedly at the intersection of art history and interior design inside the mansion. For instance, I had no idea that the French Rococo style remained popular into the mid-to-late 19th century; and the imported, hand-carved Italian hardwood paneling and inlaid floors in the library and dining room are beyond words). Out on the grounds, Pats loved the massive Weeping European Birch tree, which she noted was so massive and shady that it was it's own micro-ecosytem. On the ride home I announced my intention to shell out the money someday to become a member of the Historical Preservation Society (or whatever the hell they call it) so I can go to the mansions as often as possible.

So it's been a laid-back Rhode Island type of visit. Moreover, it's been so good to have "girl time" with one of my closest confidantes. I've missed her in my day to day life since I left Chicago, and I'm getting used to having her around again. So now it's a question of making sure we stay more connected. I have no doubt we will.

And tomorrow, we might splurge and go to Block Island. Or we might just stay here, go to the beach, cook some food. Neither of us really needs to run around, and we're close enough to happily loaf around and share an afghan on the couch. Either way it'll be good.

In other news, Amity was stranded for three days in New Jersey with 200 lbs of luggage before she was finally able to get back to the DR yesterday. NEVER fly Continental to South America. My aunts ran into a similar problem leaving Peru, but were only delayed a day. Am had to shell out for three days in a hotel --- no vouchers except for food the first night. There are too many reasons why flights can get delayed and connections missed.

Anyway, back to the grading. I want to get it done and have an easy Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the "Preservation Society of Newport County."

Jessica Beagan Archer said...

Thanks for setting me straight, anonymous! :)