1.23.2008

Continental Drift Creative Services

Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

This is the name of my new business. It is the business of me: writing, photography, interior design.

The interior design portion of CDCS is Crafted Spaces, my fledgling business. On the flight back from Chicago this weekend, I decided on the slogan "Custom need not be costly." The whole crux of Crafted Spaces is to help create custom home interiors that are designed specifically around the way in which the client wishes to use the space, and around how much money they wish to spend. My job is to help my clients to articulate and ultimately realize the perfect custom space, crafted around their needs and budgets. I suppose most interior designers would do this, but I also seek inspiration from my fine arts experience.

As for the parent company, Continental Drift has been my "press" name in Book Arts classes for 10 years, and it's always stuck with me. I love the concept of traveling the world, literally drifting from continent to continent. But more importantly, I love the concept in terms of plate tectonics. It's how the face of the earth is always changing, in mostly subtle ways, but sometimes violently and dramatically. It's like the subtitle of this blog, Icon: The only constant is change. It resonates perfectly with me.

So, CDCS is the umbrella for all this wonderful freelance work I'm doing. I need to continue this massive task of getting organized, and articulating my plan for CDCS is a huge part of it. More to come . . . .

No comments: