11.04.2008

Waiting for the Polls to Close

With Annika's due date on Friday, I think I know how Barack Obama and John McCain feel right now. I'm waiting for the inevitable. Just as it's clear (but by no means yet certain) that Barack Obama will win, I'm also somewhat sure of the outcome of the pregnancy, labor, and delivery. I have good reasons to hope for an Obama victory, a good delivery and a healthy baby. Though I also have to be realistic that anything could happen.

I can empathize with the candidates: they are tired, but still keep going. Like me, pregnant and due, they know it's about to end. But when? The results will take an undeterminable amount of time to be known. So, pregnant and president-elect, we wait.

And just as there are lots of loved ones checking in on me, perhaps the candidates' phones are ringing too. Only they can tell you if they feel like talking. I don't particularly. I'm alright. Just trying to make sure I have my life in order. Got the car seat installed, made a baby supplies run. Compiled paperwork, made some lists. It's not visiting 7 rallies in 7 states in one day, but it's similar.

Like the election results, Annika's birth is imminent. Every hour it all gets a little closer. The Presidential candidates and I are doing everything we can to come out ahead. Before long, the long process will be done, and a new era will begin.

1 comment:

Oh La La Chic said...

you and the baby will be healthy and wonderful. i believe your good karma has already set the stage for that already.

i am overjoyed with obama's win, i am overwhelmed with the humanity i see. i have no words to express how wonderful this is...not only as an american but as a person of color, i am truly speechless (rare I know).