10.29.2006

Halloween Weekend

The festivities continued on Saturday afternoon. I heard Amity's voice on more than one occasion yesterday, chiding me for not bringing my camera. There was lots to shoot.

After going to bed at 5 am after the Midnight Fairy party, I didn't get up until almost noon, when K called. We had plans to prepare the haunted house for his middle-school-age niece and nephew's Halloween party. Of course, I didn't make it to my Saturday class, which started at 9 am. I did get some work done though, which was the real reason I didn't go to class. Then, I headed to Walmart for supplies and Starbucks for fuel before going to K's.

All told, we had a blast. The highlight of the day for me were the Munchkins, the younger two siblings of the older kids whose friends came over for the party. They are 4 & 3, a girl and a boy, just like my brother and me. We dressed them in their costumes before we got in our own. I was a witch with devil horns and scary face make-up.

I'm not used to having THAT many kids around, nor have I been so festive on Halloween since I was probably in middle school myself. Another sad reflection on my haste to grow up. K is like a big kid about Halloween, and I really like that about him. He adores his nieces and nephews and just jumps right in to make things special for them. And they love him. The hardest thing for me about being away from home for so many years now is that I don't have my cousins or my cousins' kids; nor do I have any nieces and nephews, let alone kids of my own. They really do make the holidays special. I was happy to be a part of it.

No comments: