4.28.2008

Don’t Breathe on Me

Random List of Ways I’ve Gone a Little Crazy with the Hormones: Part 4

I can’t say I’ve had many cravings or aversions since getting pregnant, especially not in terms of the usual: food items. I did have one odd aversion though. I could not stand to feel air on my face. Under normal circumstances, I’m not wild about it. I shut off the blower vent over my airplane seat, and I turn the vents in the car in whichever direction that prevents air from hitting my face. I love FRESH air in my face, in my hair, blowing on me when I sleep. But I definitely went through a phase in which foreign stale air went from moderately irritating to instantly nauseating.

It started one night after Aaron got home from the bar and had had a few beers. I hate the smell of beer anyway, but the smell of beer on him that night the room spin. I made him go brush his teeth again and it still didn’t help. Not that he didn’t smell minty fresh after another scrubbing, but the damage was done. I couldn’t handle his air anywhere near me.

So let’s say we were sound asleep facing the same way, and he’d roll over. The first exhalation in my direction would cause me to have to roll over immediately. It got so bad that one night the cat got too close to my face and started breathing on me. I had to kick him out of bed.

The kicker was a couple weeks ago. I was lying in bed and had closed my eyes. Aaron leaned over to kiss me, but I didn’t sense him until I felt hot air near my face. It startled me and I instinctively swatted at the source of it, not realizing it was my darlin’ come over for a little sugar. He was obviously shocked that I HIT HIM, and I of course was mortified. He got some mileage out of teasing me about it until I threatened to cry.

For the record, it’s better now. I still don’t like air in my face, but it doesn’t provoke nausea and pugilism any longer.

No comments: