1.29.2007

Back in Mac

Dude. It's good to be home.

I just got a new old Mac for a $50 donation to the RMC scholarship fund. It's a 3-year old G4 Tower, and it's got everything I need.

This is the way to do it. Command Central is now dual format: Mac desktop, PC laptop. I'm just hoping that my dualistic Gemini nature will be enough to keep me from feeling Mac/PC schizophrenia. I will need an AirPort for wireless desktop (the cable wiring for the modem doesn't work with the layout of my computer area. There is an unsightly and dangerous cord betwixt me and the living room area as I write).

So yeah, good times ahead. I dug out the vintage iMac Ruby, circa 2000, and plan to retrieve the rest of the data off of that and bring it to this machine. Any suggestions as to what I should do with a 6.5 year old, completely obsolete iMac would be most appreciated. I have a whole new set of photo work to excavate. All the work that was saved as Mac-formatted PhotoShop files can now be accessed.

The big thing I have to decide is whether or not to bundle everything together onto this machine: all the photos, documents, todo, for archiving. It feels alot like when I decided to organize my time via the Franklin Covey planner. I spent a long time watching co-workers use theirs, and I asked questions before investing. It's the best thing I could have done, and the better I use it, the better I feel. Oddly enough, I have no interest in the PDA thing at this point. It's good to have some paper still in my life. Plus, I also know that if the shit goes down, everything I need is in one lovely little Wedgewood-blue leather folio. I'm not ready to go entirely digital just yet. Especially if the shit ever does go down.

But my, does having both platforms feel like the best of all possible worlds.

No comments: