1.01.2007

Welcome 2007!

Just got back from a night out in Bangor, Maine with Amity and Kyle, at the lovely apartment of two of his colleagues at the hospital. A great group of people. The lovebirds are off to his place for a few hours sleep before he heads to work at 7 am. I'm relaxing back at her place with the cat and the wireless before heading to bed myself.

I'm really disappointed about not making it to Machias tonight, but I think I made the best decision based on what the weather looks like. The latest reports show the rain and snow starting in earnest by 9 am.

I'm starting to look forward to a short visit with my folks in RI and then getting home to Chicago on Thursday. I can't believe it's been nearly 2 weeks! The time away has been illuminating, and it has the added benefit of making me appreciate my home and my life there. I have done a ton of photography and other creative work. Plus, I've even learned to cook a bit. I'm ready to return to my own little nest and get to work on it.

And I must admit that this weekend I've thought long and hard about the "what-if" scenarios around returning to Maine to live. I know that I am blessed and lucky to have so many amazing people who love and care for me back here. But I also feel that I'm not the same person anymore either. Could I live here again? Sure, I could live anywhere. But for now, I'm not going anywhere. I think I need to stop the wondering and just live and be where I am, in Palatine, with my jobs and school and friends there. The best thing about RI and Maine is that I DO have these places to which I am forever tied, and to which I may return whenever I want. And I will.

As for 2007, it started with a ridiculous ceremony. Some guys chucked from a roof in downtown Bangor a large evergreen ball sparkling with lights. They were two minutes early, and they hoisted the stupid thing back up by its orange industrial extension cord immediately after tossing it. The crowd (term used loosely) dispersed immediately afterward. So, here in Bangor, 2006 ended with decidedly more whimper than bang. Fine with me. It was a bangin'-enough year. I hope for just as many good times, along with the added peace and stability I will make for myself and my life in 2007.

Feliz Anho Nuevo!
J

No comments: