1.18.2007

Stuck at the Office

IMG0038

More pix from SpyCam Chicago 2004. These are from the Prairie Stone and Sears office complexes. Between the two I spent over 2.5 years on the fourth floor. In both buildings.

IMG0109

I've been out of the office since August. The comparisions to prisons, cages, bad relationships and every other metaphor for incarceration certainly apply here. I am just so much happier running around like a maniac between teaching jobs and classes than I ever could have been here.

IMG0042

We were very concerned about qualifying and the percentage of students qualified when I was a student advisor. Thanks to that job, I soon figured out that numbers are bullshit and that anyone can make the numbers say anything they want them to say. These numbers were everything. But even when they meant something to me, they meant nothing.

IMG0039

I tried very hard to make my cubicle spaces familiar, so I decorated the hell out of them. I never understood how people could stare at dingy gray cubicle upholstery every day and not go insane. Most of these images were on the "inspiration" corkboard in my kitchen in Iowa City. So when I took the job, I took my inspiration to the cube.

IMG0043

A lot of the time, I wasn't happy. But I sometimes tried to make something out of that time. It wasn't for me, but it was priceless experience. And if I never return there, that's fine too.

No comments: