1.31.2007

Grandma and Billy Idol

Grandma and Billy Idol.jpg

A family classic. This picture was taken sometime in the mid-to-late 80's at one of the theme parks in Florida. It was right before the time that Billy had that career comeback. The funniest part of the story is that my grandmother had no idea who Billy Idol was, and my grandfather still to this day will tell you what a polite young man he was, despite the way he looked.

My grandparents had moved to Orlando not long before this picture was taken. They're down there now, selling their house and tying up the last loose ends of their life there. They spent 20 years "on vacation" in total before moving back to Rhode Island this past summer. They are both 78 years old, and wanted to be close to my mom again as they are getting older.

It's a bit of a memento mori for me, to see this picture. My grandmother has aged quite a bit in the last 20 years. But then again, so have we all.

The goal now is to find some equally hilarious pop icon like Billy Idol for MY mother to pose with at some point in her 50's as grandma did here. We've got time, but we gotta get on it.

You reading this, Ma? I'm officially starting a tradition here. So who's it going to be?

No comments: