6.29.2007

La Salsera

Amity, Jay, Vicente, and I went salsa dancing on Wednesday night at the Xxodus Cafe at the Providence Black Repertory Company on Westminster Street. Wednesdays is Latin Jazz with Carlos DeLeon and his amazing band, and they do salsa lessons from 8-9 pm before the band starts.

I am so grateful to Jay for introducing me to the place and the event. I have really been jonesing for a Chicago-like night out: city, dancing, cultural diversity. Since I'm likely moving to Providence after the summer, it feels good to start to find the things that are going to continue to make my life here full and rich. Salsa in the city is a Chicago thing, a Venezuela thing, and those things are MY things. To bring them to Rhode Island now is another of the myriad threads being woven together, harmonizing those different pieces into a cohesive whole.

No comments: