6.21.2007

Novena

Catholics have a tradition of praying to specific saints, asking them to intercede on particular situations or affairs. Each saint has their own story and their own strength. One of the many types of Catholic prayers are these Novenas. I don't recall the entire story behind Novenas, but the word derives from the same as the number 9, and you say the prayers typically in some multiple of nine.

I also come from a long line of devotees to the Virgin Mary: my grandmother, great grandmother, so on. My grandmother has a beautiful statue that had been her grandmother's. Years ago I started collected Virgin Mary icons in my travels. Since she is a ubiquitous figure in the Catholic world it's easy to find some really interesting interpretations. I told my grandmother about my collection, and she was surprised I had the same connection she did.

So she gave me the following Novena, and I wanted to share it here. The way it works is that if you have some issue that you want the Virgin's help or guidance on, you say this prayer three days in a row. After that you must publish it. Traditionally this would be done in the community newspaper, but since it's the 21st century I think the Virgin Mary is down with blogs. Here it is, just as it was published, but with a couple corrections for punctuation.

Prayer to the Blessed Virgin
(never known to fail)

O most beautiful flower of Mt. Carmel,
Fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven,
Blessed Mother of the Son of God,
Immaculate Virgin,
Assist me in my necessity.
O star of the sea,
Help me and show me, heroine,
You are my mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God
Queen of Heaven and Earth,
I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart
To succor me in my necessity
(make request).

There are none that can withstand your power.
O Mary conceived without sin,
Pray for us who have recourse to thee.
Pray for us who have recourse to thee.
Pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Holy Mary, I place this cause in your hands.
Holy Mary, I place this cause in your hands.
Holy Mary, I place this cause in your hands.

Say this prayer for three consecutive days. You must publish it and it will be granted to you. Grateful Thanks. JB

No comments: