12.17.2006

Courtney Love & The Decline of Western Civilization, Part II

I'm staying up late, blogging and watching the above-mentioned film about glam metal in the 80's. I think I'm going to use part of it as a metaphor for the Rococo period in the 18th century next semester. I also think that Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me" is one of the best damned rockin' out songs EVER. For what it's worth.

Before that, I watched a documentary called The Return of Courtney Love. Hole's 1994 album "Live Through This" is one of my all-time girl-angst favorites --- and I don't do girl angst, preferring male singers and songwriters probably ten to one. But her talent is abundant, and her very public life cycles through the highest highs and the lowest lows. She's kind of an archetype these days: the widow, the drug addict, the mother, the rocker, the Oscar-nominated actress. She's everything and nothing. At any rate, she's working on a new album, according to the documentary, the working title of which is called "How Dirty Girls get Clean." I love redemption. And the scenes from the recording studios reveal some really promising work.

I wonder when it comes out.

No comments: