12.01.2006

World AIDS Day

December 1st is World AIDS Day. I just watched a VH1 documentary with Ashley Judd in Madagascar and India.Arie in Kenya. Verizon and Motorola have teamed up to sell a red RAZR phone this holiday season, the proceeds from which go to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa, according to the commercials.

For a while I was nervous that the celebrity attention to this crisis, and to Africa in general, was only a flash in the pan. It's proving to be more than that, given the sustained efforts and campaigns to raise awareness and fight the pandemic. Now I fear that it's only a trend.

But perhaps I ought to have more faith in the world, in celebrities, and maybe even in corporations, heaven forbid. I do have faith in my generation, though. We are a growing force politically, economically, and socially. We have a global consciousness, and conscience. We can make a difference, and we will. Some may call it idealism, but I just don't see how we have a choice if we want to survive as human beings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched the Ashley Judd documentary on her work in Central America and she seemed very sincere in this cause. For her, at least I don't think it's a trend.

Anonymous said...

I also watched this documentary on TLC and was amazed at her work (along with Salma Hayek) in Guatemala. I loved how she sought to relate with the women she interviewed and how she empowered them just by acknowledging them and their good choices such as using condoms. I was really impressed.