3.22.2007

Adult Confirmation Class

Proof that the universe works in mysterious ways: I had my first meeting tonight as a small group leader for the Adult Confirmation Class at St. Edna's here in Arlington Heights. I went through the program last year, feeling all the while like the proverbial whore in church, but I finished and learned a lot and got confirmed.

I was literally thunderstruck when the director called and asked if I would volunteer this year. My parents and I joked about calling the priest with whom I tangled 15 years ago --- the final straw that led me to quit the program and not get confirmed then.

My plan is to make sure this year's candidates feel welcome. It was really odd for me to go through the process, but I felt compelled to do it. And now here I am. Volunteering in Catholic education. I can feel the mirth that this is causing in the universe.

No comments: