3.31.2007

Kitchen Rehab COMPLETED!!

2007-03-31 Wyndham Condo Kitchen Rehab 002

After we removed the old ugly dishwasher, here's what remained to be torn out.


2007-03-31 Wyndham Condo Kitchen Rehab 006

Everything is torn out! At this point it's like climbing a mountain. Once you get to the top, you still have half the work to do in order to get back down. In this case, it's more like getting to the first base camp with six more to go before you even get to the summit. So yeah, considerably less than half way, but demolition is purgative and yields quite a sense of accomplishment.


2007-03-31 Wyndham Condo Kitchen Rehab 015

The old cabinet, which served as a cutting surface when we trimmed down the countertop, and the fridge in its old position on the right.


2007-03-31 Wyndham Condo Kitchen Rehab 021

Chris is preparing a saw. Rococo insisted on "helping" most of the time. In this case she decided to chill out in the sink for a bit. I didn't get a picture of Mojo later doing the same thing once we took the sink out of the box. There was an awful lot of action in their house these past couple days, but the girls weathered it pretty well.

2007-03-31 Wyndham Condo Kitchen Rehab 027

The new dishwasher (which Chris and I installed ourselves!!) and the fridge in its proper place. There was LITERALLY a millimeter on either side of that fridge. Any closer to the right and the door hits the wall when you open it. Any more to the left and the dishwasher door drags against the fridge door. When it's THAT close, I swear it's like finding God. Seriously. You are just so thankful that by some divine Providence it worked.


2007-03-31 Wyndham Condo Kitchen Rehab 032

Patsy and I enjoyed a bottle of wine in my new kitchen last night. This is the first time I feel like I've been able to use that room since I bought this place. Note the adorable red and white bistro table. I've actually changed the room already since I shot this last night. Once the room is all staged and painted I'll get an updated photo posted.

This whole project started because I measured wrong and the fridge needed about an extra inch in order to fit where it belonged. I lived for the last year with the fridge in the wrong place and a broken dishwasher. The best lesson from this is that it is not hard to make these changes, and that although it is exhausting, time-consuming, and costs money, IT IS WORTH IT. I wish I had had the impetus to do this for MYSELF and not just so I can put it on the market. But either way it's done and it was worth it.

I'm fighting myself heartily to NOT do the same thing in the bathroom right now. Steady on, girl!

No comments: