3.06.2007

Francesca's Strikes Again

I met up with my cousin B from Rhode Island tonight. He's in Chicago on business. We waited for the traffic to subside and headed from his O'Hare area hotel to Francesca's Forno in Wicker Park. Once again, Francesca's did not disappoint. We had the Carpaccio, Risotto, Pizza and BOTH the chocolate chip banana bread pudding and some decadent brownie thing. Good food, great company.

We figured out that it's been two years since we'd last seen each other, over dinner at the Dixie Kitchen in Evanston. Hard to believe that time goes by so fast. B is one of my favorite relatives, and I was happy he called to meet up. Having so much fun is another tug eastward, I must confess.

We always compare notes on the cousins and other family members, and in the course of talking, my godson K came up. His mother is another one of our cousins. K will be 10 this month, which is hard to believe. I don't see him anywhere NEAR as often as I should, but there's a bond between us that's unmistakable. He's a sweet and sensitive child growing up in a painfully unhappy home. The first time I held him I promised him I would always be there for him. I don't feel like I've even remotely upheld my end of the bargain, and yet I know he loves me all the same as I do him.

I'll be home next week, and I do plan to call his mom to see when I can surprise him with a visit.

Tug.

No comments: