4.06.2007

Phase 2: Painting

Dad just left this evening after a three-day painting marathon. We're finished but the dreaded clean-up begins tomorrow. Time to prepare for installing new vinyl tiles (necessity, not that which is desired) in the newly painted bathroom. "Pale Innocence": a robin's egg blue that screams "BUY ME" when paired with the proper accessories. Dad painted every single cabinet in the kitchen and bath, taking down doors and installing new hinges and knobs (SO much fun to do, especially now that I own a power screwdriver/drill). Every single door got painted, and a bunch of things were touched up too. Meanwhile, I had a full week of teaching outside of CTU, which was mercifully on break this week and not a moment too soon for myriad reasons. And, best of all, today came a phone call from the Universe to both Patsy and me, showing that maybe there is a plan after all.

Tomorrow, teaching and cleaning. Sunday, Easter Mass in the biggest baddest cathedral Patsy and I can find. The goal of getting the house on the market by today was ambitious, and all but impossible once the Phase 1: Kitchen Rehab began. But it's still only been TWO WEEKS since this whole packing and moving and preparing thing got underway. I cannot believe how much has gotten done. Every time I've felt tired I've had to just keep going.

But the best part is that I'm losing my fear. Today at Menard's I bought the second batch of knobs, having returned the white ones (which didn't work with the brushed nickel hinges we had to buy because they were the only ones of the right size and quantity in stock) for a set of chrome ones that are all wrong, of course. I chatted with Bobby, the guy who helped me order the white knobs. I've seen him in there three times this week. I'm starting to know people at Menard's.

But beyond that, I also walked through that store today with a purpose. Not clutching a neurotic little list, but thinking about what I needed to do and the tools I needed to get the job done. The gorgeous power screwdriver/drill has taught me that any job can be fun if you have the right tools. The wrong tools just suck. So I grabbed a utility knife, extra blades, scoring blades for the vinyl, and a hacksaw. From there, I picked up a piece of 1/4" quarter round moulding for the kitchen or bath or both. I was thinking of the work I wanted to do, the details that needed minding. I love this process.

Pix to follow, soon. :)

No comments: