5.11.2007

The Killers Live at the Sears Centre

Despite the suckiness of having gotten pulled over on my way to the show, the Killers concert was amazing last night. A-maaaa-zing. So much energy, great staging and lights, and the music was so tight. I actually got online today to figure out if I could make it to another one of their shows. They're heading West in the next couple weeks and then touring Europe this summer. Pats and I are talking about a trip to Europe for her birthday, so if it works out I want to see them again. They were that good.

Some of the highlights included "Chicago" (My Kind of Town) and very solid performances of their hits, from "Mr. Brightside", "Read My Mind" and "When You Were Young". Also, at the opening, they played a video montage of images from the cover art on their second album, "Sam's Town". Images like the ram, the beauty queen, the black balloons, and the Western desert landscape recur in the videos and cover art. I loved the visual self-references. The best though was the last full song of the encore, my favorite Killers song, "All These Things That I've Done." My only complaint is that they didn't perform "Change Your Mind", a terrific track from their first album "Hot Fuss."

A solid and very new-age band called The Red Romance opened the show. They sounded incredibly retro, but had a good sound. Pats enjoyed the show, and it was cool for me to see the Killers at the Sears Centre. When I was in corporate at CTU, I could see the building out my office window and I watched the whole thing being constructed from start to finish. The venue itself is just alright, nothing fancy, and the seat aisles are entirely too narrow.

Nevertheless, I was already a pretty big fan. But after seeing the Killers live, I can guarantee I'll see them again.

No comments: