5.15.2007

Liminal

lim·i·nal (lm-nl)
adj.

Relating to a threshold.



Sounds about right. I leave Friday for home, but I'm using these last few days here to wrap things up. Workwise, I busted it OUT and got all of the final grades turned in for CLC (yesterday) and OCC (today). Plus live chats yesterday morning, the last ones for this abominal term at CTU. It's a major weight off my shoulders, but I still have to come up with something for my independent study with Dr. Mbilizi. Due today. It's now 4 pm. Eh, it's early still.

But I'm in that weird liminal place where I really feel like I'm sitting on a threshold. I'm not completely still here, but Lord knows I'm not there yet. So I hear the divine Miss Kate, in my wilder years, reminding me to live in the moment. God Bless her, I have internalized that voice. So I do mundane things like buy rainboots to wear in the garden or go to a dentist appointment on Thursday morning.

These finite in-between times are like roads. We spend time passing THROUGH them, rather than IN them. I suppose if you spend too much time IN the road, you'd get run over by people who ARE on their way somewhere. But how often do we consider the road for the road itself? It's a means to an end, a thru-way.

And yet there are things to learn and appreciate as the landscape flies past your window. So it's Tuesday. I'm in RI from Friday to Monday with Pats, then Dad flies in on Tuesday afternoon. We're driving back to RI together on Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be home in time for Memorial Day Weekend. Amity is coming down, Erin and Bridget are coming in for a day, and the Tipton/Varrieur clan will be up from DC. Sam's 9th birthday is this Sunday, so I'm sure we'll celebrate next week.

So you see, I'm diving right in. Just not yet.

No comments: