5.29.2007

Sea Glass



I've always gathered sea glass during my walks on the beach. Now that I'm living here, I have already amassed quite a bit of it in just a few days. This morning I went out and gathered two handfuls --- so much that I had to create a little hammock using my sweatshirt so I could open the front door when I got home.

There are lots of things I could do with it I suppose: mosaics on table tops, mirrors, picture frames. Make earrings or rings or necklaces. I'd have to learn how to make jewelry first I suppose. I want to think of something to do with it that relates to what sea glass symbolizes. Shards of glass are inherently dangerous, but the ocean tumbles away those sharp edges and leaves something beautiful and harmless. I love the way that nature is, in this case, stronger than the impact of our broken beer bottles, and how she neutralizes that impact.

Other things I found on the beach this morning, but did not take, were a child's orthodontic retainer the nastiest pinky-red color I've ever seen, and a gorgeous red starfish that had washed up. It was hard to leave the starfish, but since I had pretty well picked clean Scarborough Beach of its sea glass, I figured I should leave something behind.

No comments: