5.31.2008

Shout Out --- Girlfriends!

I am McLovin my girlfriends today. First, Amity was there for a phone call this afternoon when I needed to vent a bit about some pre-wedding stress. I'm getting married a week from today. I love my fiance more than I ever thought I'd ever love anyone. I cannot wait to be his wife. But I wish that getting to the end of that aisle didn't involve such stressors as yet another trip to Michael's, this time for baskets, tulle, and other wedding accoutrements. Thank you, as always, Am.

Then late this afternoon I met up with M & K, two of my oldest (meaning longest-running) girlfriends. I've known and loved M since 4th grade, K since 11th, and I've gotten closer and closer to them again since I came home. They treated me to a pedicure and dinner tonight in honor of my 30th birthday, which is a week from Tuesday.

I so appreciated that they wanted to celebrate my birthday. 30 is kind of a milestone. But with mine coming the three days after my wedding and three weeks before we move into our new house, my turning 30 is not the first thing on my mind or anyone else's for that matter. I ran into the same thing on my 17th birthday. It was the same day as my high school graduation and ended up being all but forgotten.

Fortunately, I've had lots of terrific birthday celebrations over the years, so I'm hardly deprived. But I'm a big advocate of celebrating each and every one of them. After all, we only get so many, and it's a great time to remind the people you love, including yourself, that it's good to have you on this planet. I don't mind something as special as my wedding getting in the way of that. I'm just grateful to my girlfriends that it hasn't.

No comments: