3.10.2005

So. Very. Tired.

I have managed to shock now three of my co-workers by developing a taste for coffee. This happened at 1 pm yesterday, when I was faced with the choice to either get myself a cup, or curl up under my desk for nappy time.

This must be a sign of the apocalypse.

I love it that they know me well enough to know that it is indeed shocking that I need coffee. I'm usually high-strung enough sans caffeine. But it's almost the end of the third week of my new teaching schedule and I'm a shell of a shell of a human being. However, I have let go of my Tuesday night Spanish class, so that might help. I figure I'll pick it up once I get to Venezuela.

And besides, I now use that time constructively to watch "Te Voy a Ensenhar a Querer" on Telemundo, so I'm still getting my education. Between Monday and Tuesday night alone, there was a wedding (almost), a kidnapping, a hostage-taking, and a shooting. Deborah was revealed to be a crazy murderer, and it turns out that she was never pregnant with Alejandro's baby. Dede revealed however that the father of her unborn child is actually Alejandro, and not Pablo (who is love with Camila who got kidnapped on Monday night).

Keep in mind that I don't understand much Spanish, but I'm getting good at deciphering the telenovelas. When trying to adapt to a new culture, I often turn to soap operas. I had an unholy fascination with "EastEnders" on BBC during a Eurotrash phase, for example; and as a young girl my best friend Melissa and I were addicted to "General Hospital" thanks to the influence of Meli's mom and sister. The people are so beautiful on the Spanish-language ones; and there is a lot of screaming and very earnest dialogue which I think will be useful.

Sadly, there was some soccer game between Mexico and Argentina last night that trumped my show, and I have to teach tonight so I'll miss it again. The good news is that you can catch up pretty easily on telenovelas, just like any other soap. So on Friday night, I will gather up all of the dry crackly rinds and peels that remain of me after the end of the work week, deposit myself on the couch, and find out if Alejandro is going to pull through after that gunshot wound.

No comments: