3.13.2005

Wax On, Wax Off

Tonight, MP from the office led me to the home of Z, a petite Indian woman who provides hair removal services from a bedroom upstairs in her home. MP is the one who also introduced me (and the entire office) to threading, and now she has to keep a spool of white 100% cotton on her desk because we're all hooked. She's begun doing my eyebrows and upper lip on Thursdays, right in my office.

So this discussion of dipiliation turns into an invitation and introduction from MP. I have had my lip and eyebrows waxed, but I had no idea what I was getting into.

Keep in mind, I have a tattoo. I have had up to ten holes pierced in either ear. I have my nose pierced.

I'm going to venture that waxing ACTUALLY hurts more than the above.

So, for the last couple of weeks I have been growing all of my body hair until I turned into a right proper fur beast. I seriously could not stand myself any longer, so MP called Z today and set it up for after work.

MP and Z spoke a bit in a language I didn't recognize, and we went up to the spare tiny bedroom where Z works. There was a long bright fluorescent light that tinted everything blue, but I suppose it helps Z see the little hairs better, and a twin bed with a wax-stained sheet on top. On a table next to the bed were a stack of stiff strips of muslin, and a little warming unit that held half a dozen bottles of various waxes in little roll-on bottles.

MP stayed for the first pull. We started with the armpits, and dear GOD that was rough. See, the hair grows in EVERY direction under there, so getting a good rip requires hitting all the points of the compass, MANY times.

All I could think of was how I would survive the bikini line.

MP left and Z went to work. Full legs, a very thorough job on the bikini and lower butt, armpits and even the tops of my feet (yeah, there's a little bit of the Hobbit in me). The cost was significantly less than what all of that would have cost in a spa or salon, and I think Z did a much better job than I would have had if I had spent more. The armpits are still rather sore, and I did sustain a pretty livid and nasty blue-black bruise from a bad pull on the bikini line. What we do for beauty.

I did get used to it though, and even got a little zen after a while. Other thoughts I had: I'm SO taking my daughters to do this at a YOUNG age, just to get 'em used to it. Also, I hope I get some after going through all of this. I want someone to appreciate the fact that I just had myself plucked like a chicken.

Eh. I'll appreciate it. As soon as I get all the last patches of wax cleaned off.

No comments: