11.06.2006

Cram-bam-thank-you-ma'am

I've literally had 5 weeks to do my midterm take-home multiple choice exam for my "Intro to Education Research" class. I hate statistics, so I can't say this is a course to which I run excitedly. The best by-product of it so far is that I know that I am most DEFINITELY a qualitative-research person. Of course, the first 3/4ths of the class are quantitative, with a lot of big scary formulas I can't talk my way into or out of. I hate math.

Given all of this, now throw in my tragic flaw: Procrastination. In the Aristotelian-style tragedy-version of my life, I will be brought down not as Hamlet by indecisiveness or Macbeth by hubris (it was hubris that got Macbeth, right?). No, Beagan will bring about her own demise because she waited just that tiny bit too long and couldn't pull that one last thing out of the fire.

Into this situation I awoke around 6 am today. The sun was not yet up, a steady rain was falling, and I was contemplating how to kill Rococo for having woken me up two hours before the alarm. Sparing her young life (for now) I got up, chatted online, and smoked. At 8 am, I decided I might take a look at that mid-term, since it was due at 3 pm.

Upon doing so, I instantly panicked. I had three packets with dozens of multiple choice questions, covering Chapters 1-14. I might have read up to Chapter 6, but that's a generous estimate. And of course the content I haven't read covers all these statistics and other information about which I know nothing. My first impulse was flight, and I began to weigh out the benefits of just dropping out of the Ed.D. program altogether and switching on "The View." But Amity kicked my ass a little, and I also realized rather quickly that it was ONLY a test. I had the book. I had a couple hours. I had a nearly-full pack of American Spirits.

So I hit it, and in less than three hours skimmed the chapters and answered the questions. I still don't know shit about Education Research, but there's time for that I suppose. I want to be frustrated that my test score will probably be an A, despite the fact that I don't know shit about Education Research. But the test is done at least --- even if it only assesses that, after spending 79% of my life in school, I know how to do the research in a text in order to pass a test.

Now, for the tap-dancing part. I'm quite sure I had a paper due today too.

*sigh*

And I think at this point I even missed "The View."

No comments: