11.14.2006

Mulder and Scully Ain't Nothin' but Mammals . . .

So yesterday I am in DeKalb, Illinois. With all due respect to Northern Illinois University and what I am sure are the good people of DeKalb, I hate that town. It reminds me of the worst of Iowa City, but with 20% of the charm. And if you've been to Iowa City, you know that there isn't a ton of charm to start. Again, not hell on earth, certainly. Just NOT my kind of towns.

So yesterday I am in DeKalb, Illinois. Out there, my favorite Chicagoland radio stations begin to lose their frequency. I am trying to find parking near Gabel Hall, and a song comes on Q101: Now on Shuffle . . . . "The Bad Touch" by the Bloodhound Gang. Set your wayback machines to around 2000 and you'll remember a filthy one-hit wonder involving a dizzying number of pop culture references and a bunch of guys in monkey suits in the video. It's the song with the chorus about the Discovery Channel. You with me now?

So in "The Bad Touch" is a line about a sexual position, and how it's useful for both people being able to watch the X-Files. So I think, "wow, I miss the X-Files." And then I wonder if the show happens to be on in syndication.

Well, last night I get home from DeKalb, and a very nice event for the visitors from Taiwan, when I find the X-Files on TNT. Yay!

I am excited. So much so in fact that I stayed up until 4 am watching what turned out to be an X-Files marathon! Yay! But what looked like a gift from the universe, via the Bloodhound Gang & TNT, turned out to be a curse. I should have known. I couldn't shut off the damned X-Files!

I actually turned the TV off at 3 am and tried to sleep for an hour before I was successful, so perhaps I shouldn't blame Mulder and Scully. It was just so nice to be able to take in a little bit of the mid-nineties. Watching the X-Files with Burkie and Head and Debbie. Laughing about their GIGANTIC proto-cell phones, the ones that always, miraculously, had reception. Th clothes, the drama, the goo. The will-they-or-won't-they sexual tension. Mmmm.

So now I've had 4 hours of sleep. But aren't somethings just too good to NOT stay up all night?

No comments: