4.23.2007

Kate Winslet

A totally underrated actress. A living, contemporary legend. I am happy to share a generation with her.

I just heard on TV that the movie "Titanic" has grossed 1.8 BILLION worldwide, and is the highest-grossing film in history. Schlocky though it is, it's a good movie and she was spectacular in it. But that's just the start of it.

Kate Winslet is so good that I remember the first time I saw her in a film. It was "Heavenly Creatures" opposite Melanie Lynskey in 1994 at the Cable Car Cinema in Providence. In the past decade she has gone on to perform expertly in diverse and challenging roles in films like "Sense and Sensibility", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Finding Neverland", and "Little Children."

I seem to recall someone saying during the Oscars that she's the most-nominated actress of our generation. I don't think she's won yet. I think she's our Meryl Streep. At the very least, one to watch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

agreed! i have loved her for ever. i thought she was brilliant in eternal sunshine of a spotless mind! i hope she wins an oscar soon-- she deserves it. how goes it otherwise?! :)