4.18.2007

A Little Gift from the Universe

Gomez Live in Concert from Chicago on MSN.

This is the most life-affirming thing for me right now. It ties in everything right now: moving, teaching, going home, making connections, blogging, thinking, creating, being inspired. Coping.

The massacre at Virginia Tech has rattled me intensely this week. I was teaching a roomful of college students when it happened. It hits so intensely close to home, and it saddens me so deeply as a student and a teacher and a person who loves that world. This never should happen anywhere, but to have it happen in a university, a place that is so very sacred to me, is devastating beyond words.

So, I have tried to channel all of this into my students in these last two days. I decided to introduce Virginia Tech as the topic for their take-home final examinations. They are to follow the story over the next 2-3 weeks and monitor the major themes we identified together in class, based on CNN.com's articles and timelines.

The themes we identified were: Gun Control, Campus Security, Administration and Law Enforcement Policy, Communications, and Mental Health.

I believe the events of Monday morning are a culture-changing moment, and I am hoping that my students and I will be watchers of this process together, all being together in the community and thinking critically of the choices and changes being made there.

So, blogging, listening to one of the soundtracks of my life, observing, creating. Amity and I will look for lampshades and picture frame mattes, I will do live chats in an hour.

"So it goes."

No comments: