2.16.2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Ugh. I am on Day One of a glorious FOUR DAY WEEKEND! This is wonderful news of course, but I had a major jones to go out of town this weekend and it just did not work out on any front. The most recent scheme was a last minute jaunt to Quebec City for a weekend with my brother and some friends. I found a reasonable flight and could have left at 6pm in plenty of time to get to the festivities, but alas, I decided to stay.

I think I'm really still struggling with having had to be sooooooooo frugal with my time off during the old corporate days. Ten days vacation and five sick days in an entire year is JUST not enough. I used to go to work sick, often deathly and contagiously so, just so I could use the time to travel instead.

So part of me is going mad that I have FOUR WHOLE DAYS and I'm staying home. It's anathema to what I've had to do for over three years now. So yeah, as excited as I am to be home, I've also been rebelling against myself all week about it. Instead, it's time to embrace it. There is sooooo much I can do, including grading, planning the trip to Malawi, homework I didn't get done this week, and planning my condo's kitchen and bath rehab.

So despite the fact that it's butt-ass cold outside and I have been fighting the winter ennui that now grips all of us collectively by mid-February, it's time for a productive weekend.

No comments: